Sunday, November 23, 2008

Clint Clemens - a bit late

I attended the Clint Clemens lecture on November 6th (and am just now getting around to writing about it). I'm definitely not a photographer, but I certainly appreciate good photography and it was a treat to hear Clint explain how a lot of his photos came to be. I was impressed with his tendency to get in on the action wherever he can find it, and it made me appreciate the art a little more just hearing everything that goes into one of his photographs. Clint is definitely very scientifically-minded (as was evidenced by the second half of his lecture/presentation), and I was very surprised at how technical some of the processes he used were. I would never think to attach a paraplegic's sidecar to a motorcycle to get action photos, and the device he conjured up for some of his boating clients was ingenious. Being very naive to the whole photographic process, I had no idea that it would require an elaborate rig like that to get a blurry background and focused subject, so this presentation gave me a newfound appreciation for the art and science of photography.

1 comment:

Nina Elias said...

I agree about the scientific part. (I realized I never posted about the lecture either, hope this counts). I think that's what makes him so innovative. He's less of the creative, mind open to abstract, inexplainable concepts, but rather nails his perspective with scientific, well thought out execution.