Friday, November 21, 2008

Magazine (Floating Redo)

Sorry this is late. I did my floating redo, and I couldn't figure out how to get it on here until my lab TA helped me yesterday!







Rationale

Coming from an Italian family, I have seen my share of wine magazines. I have always thought they were very stuffy; almost inapproachable. These memories inspired me to create CORKED, a wine and style magazine. The magazine is aimed at wine enthusiasts from ages 21 to 60 right up into the 70’s. It is modern and clean, yet appealing to those who enjoy moving forward with the modern times with a glass of Chardonnay in their hands.
When I found the “Unpretentious Pairings” story on LexisNexis from the October 2007 issue of Cheers, I knew it was the perfect fit. It espouses everything my magazine is about: keeping up with the trends while maintaining that classic wine relationship. It also provided several options for sidebars, so I picked it.
Upon reading it, I was inspired by all the descriptions of the foods – sour, tangy, spicy, acid, grilled, fried, buttery, etc. – and I went on a quest for pictures that tickled my taste buds like the story. The first picture I saw was a plain white dinner plate, and the headline “Well Plated” (a play on the idiom “well stated”) popped into my head. I would put the dek on the plate and have a beautiful bleeding editorial image on the right side. Clean, stark. That is the momentum and the purpose of my design.
The idea to put the dek in the shape of the wine glass came about after seeing the dek just in a square on the plate and realizing it didn’t connect to the story or to the visual. So a wine glass was born.
I purposely have a frame of white around my text. It makes it stark and really makes the red (the spot color from the wine) stand out against the page, the same way the red stands out in the picture. Everything is squared off, keeping with my modern feel for the magazine. The script keeps the old=fashioned feel. I was able to achieve this with my 5x5 grid pattern.
The picture on the second spread emphasized the variety of wines available to enthusiasts and I purposely lined up the levels of wine to the text to carry the eye over. The pictures on the third spread are bright and incorporate the colors in them.
The sidebar fits in perfectly with my 5x5 grid. I rarely see a sidebar at the top, so I used my imagination and added that innovative aspect to my design, while sticking to clean basics for the majority of it. I want it to be modern and readable, and I hope I have achieved this.

No comments: