Friday, September 19, 2008

Resume



Design Strategy:
First of all, I wanted my design to stand out and break the rigid mold that resumes are often placed in. I chose to have the wordmark bleed off the page while keeping the remainder of the text within set margins. The pop of color at the top and its continuation throughout the design make my resume distinct. The combination of all caps for my first name and all lowercase for my last name was used in order to layer them and still achieve contrast.

In my resume design, I wanted to convey my personality while maintaining a modern esthetic. When trying to convey this, I incorporated my favorite color in a bright, youthful shade, and I also wanted to keep the text clean and readable. Realistically, my resume would not be printed in color, and I designed it with this in mind. Included is the original black and white design that is still readable without the splash color.


Choice of typefaces:
The two typeface families I chose were Baskerville and Antique Olive Std. Baskerville was chosen as the body text because of its proportionate x-height and varied weights. I think it is a smart font that is easy to read. Also, when I was in high school, Baskerville was the body text for our newspaper and holds a special place in my heart.

Antique Olive was chosen to contrast the body text. The font is a sans serif with an interesting weight to each capitol letter and an interesting lowercase “i.” where the line continues upward and forms a cradle for the dot. Antique Olive also has a variety of weights and postures that allowed for the contrast in the wordmark and headers.


Color:
The green used in my resume is C- 50%, M- 0%, Y- 100% and K- 0%.


Paper:
I chose not to use a special paper due to the need to print on an 11x17 sheet and then trim to Letter size. This allows the workmark to go to the end of the page.

No comments: