Friday, September 19, 2008

Resume



Design Strategy:
I designed my resume to fit my personality, as well as the internships I will be applying for. Since I want to work for a fashion magazine, I designed it to appear chic and elegant. Originally, I had a lot of information that I wanted to put on my resume and even once I condensed it, I had a significant amount of type, so I wanted to keep the design simple. I chose my fonts and colors to look both girly and graceful and at the same time funky and fashion forward. I added the colorful lines to keep the continuality of the two colors that I used in my word mark. My word mark evolved from large, bold serif into a stylish, rounded, san serif that was much smaller, emphasizing the chicness of the letters and how they are designed to fit together rather than the type itself.
I organized my experience according to what I would like my potential employer to see first. My year off in Africa is far more interesting and unique than my retail management job. Likewise, the internship I had my senior year is more pertinent to my future career than my retail management job.

Choice of Typefaces:
I wanted a versatile typeface family for the body of my resume, so that I could stay in one typeface and still be able to bold my titles and italicize the dates and locations of my jobs. I switched from a san serif in my word mark to a serif for the body of the resume because I find serifs to be easier to follow when reading a lot of type. I kept my font at size nine in order to fit everything that I wanted onto my resume. I used caps/lc because I think it looks more elegant than all caps and less brash.

Color:
I chose light purple (R:1 50, G: 115, B: 175) because not only is it my favorite color, but it is a color that is often equated with flowers and my first name, Lauren, means crowned with laurels.
I chose the light blue (C: 24%, M: 3.529%, Y: 0%, K:0%) because, again, not only is it my other favorite color, but I was also trying to find a “glassy”, almost opaque blue to play off of my last name, Glass.
I switched from RGB to CMYK because I could not get the perfect light blue color that I was looking for on RGB, likewise the lilac, light purple came out perfectly at these percentages in RGB.

Paper:
I have yet to decide whether I am going to use the paper that I have included in my envelope. I like the thickness of the paper, but I would prefer the white to be brighter, rather than almost vanilla. The brighter white is more feminine. I want to keep my resume simple, so I do not want any pattern or design on the paper, but I want it to stand out and thicker paper makes for a stronger and in my opinion more appealing resume.

No comments: