Friday, October 24, 2008

Kelina's Stationary Set




Design Strategy:
My dream is to work for a music magazine. I wanted to somehow incorporate writing and music in an image while still representing myself accurately. I created a record using layering concentric circles each treated with a gradient. The label was created by another circle. Using the knife tool on two circles, I created the lines around the red label.

There is something about records that modern MP3s or CDs have and although it is an outdated technology, they are classic and hip. After finishing the record, it looked like it still needed more. Somehow I had to still incorporate writing other than writing “journalist” on the record. I then decided to create the arm of the record player. Rather than using the regular needle tip, I used Live Paint on the tip of a fountain pen to create the needle. I connected it using simple lines to create the idea of a full record player without all of the pieces.

I wanted to keep the letterhead and envelope simple. I continued the color from the label as the background.

For the business card, I chose to do a different size 19p square because the logo would be compromised if it were too small or cropped too much. The square shape is modern. I also chose to do a two-sided business card to accommodate both the full logo and all of my personal information.

Choice of typefaces:
I chose a modern sans serif font in caps for my name. Veranda is used in all text on the business card, letterhead and envelope. The font is slightly stretched in order to emulate the fonts used on real vinyl records. Using the Paintbrush tool in Illustrator, I made a ‘K’ and ‘I’ and created the small initials on the record.

Color:
The color red was chosen for the label and background because it is an attention grabbing color. It is C- 15%, M- 100%, Y- 90%, K- 10%. It is not a Pantone color because it was taken from Illustrator.

Paper:
All pieces were printed on the normal 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper from the labs.

No comments: