Friday, October 17, 2008

Resume Redo



Design Strategy:
I designed my resume to fit my personality, as well as the internships I will be applying for. Since I want to work for a fashion magazine, I designed it to appear chic and elegant. Originally, I had a lot of information that I wanted to put on my resume and even once I condensed it, I had a significant amount of type, so I wanted to keep the design simple. I chose my fonts and colors to look both, girly and graceful, and at the same time funky and fashion forward. I added the colorful lines to keep continuity between the two colors that I used in my wordmark.
I changed my wordmark for the redo because I wanted it to stand out more. I played around with it a lot, but in the end, I felt like I had to take advantage of the “N” fitting so nicely above the “G”.
I got rid of my retail management job and organized my experience descending in the order of which I had the job. Luckily, my most interesting job was my last job. I used tabs and bullets to create a sense of hierarchy in my resume and I moved the bullets closer to the words. I also picked margins and stuck with them this time.

Choice of Typefaces:
For my redo, I decided to only use Didot because it gives off a funky, yet sophisticated vibe. I wanted a versatile typeface family for the body of my resume, so that I could stay in one typeface and still be able to bold my titles and italicize the dates and locations of my jobs. Also, serifs are easy to read. I changed my font to size 10 to make it easier to read, and once I eliminated my retail management job, I was able to fit everything that I wanted onto my resume. I used all caps for my wordmark, because I wanted my name to stand out. I wanted it to resemble a magazine cover’s name. I also used caps/lc for my body because I think it looks more elegant than all caps and less brash.

Color:
I switched to pantones. I chose light purple, PantoneDS165-3C (C=35%, M=70%, Y=0%, K=10%) because not only is it my favorite color, but it is a color that is often equated with flowers and my first name, Lauren, means crowned with laurels.
I chose the light blue, PantoneDS223-7C (C=30%, M=3%, Y=0%, K=0%) because, again, not only is it my other favorite color, but I was also trying to find a “glassy”, almost opaque blue to play off of my last name, Glass.

Paper:
I have decided to use regular paper for my resume, because I love how bright the white computer paper makes my colors look. Also, I did not choose a different type of paper, because I although I want my resume to stand out, with its brash, new and in your face wordmark, I do not want it to be too much.

2 comments:

LilMizSunshyne said...

I really like the colors that you use in your resume Lauren, and the color of your last name "Glass" really gives the image of glass. Great job! :)

Nina Elias said...

loving the redo lady! very fashion and very readable. surefire success!