Friday, October 10, 2008

POSTER PROJECT!!


NOTE!!! this is not how my poster really looks. For some reason it will not upload it correctly.
Design strategy:
The Around the Way Dance Company of Englewood, NJ is a performance program that’s design for the youth of Englewood as well as the neighboring communities. This company was founded by friend that I attended high school with named Jazzmin Hall. The event the poster is designed for is an open house. Basically, it is a day where she will finally open the doors of the studio and display the techniques and skills the members will be learning. This will be a day where interests can come ask questions, sign up, or whatever they feel. In her mission statement she mentioned that her intended audience is the youth. This can range from teenagers to elementary school students. The focus is more towards females of color. The aspect of the event that would make someone want to partake in it is the dance aspect. This is another outlet for females of color to express themselves in a world full of oppression.
I provided the talent with a poster that could be used over and over again. I left out the time and place so that she can fill it in whenever she needs. She might want to have a yearly open house to bring more dancers to the company. With this poster all she would have to do is recopy it and fill in the time and place. The legs looks kind of imperfect and that was done on purpose. I was trying to convey the message that you do not have to be the best dancer to join. It also looks like someone around the target audience age group drew it. So, it can be something they can possibly relate too. Realistically, I do not think at this point in time she would be able to afford color being that this is a new organization. I tried to accomplish a poster that would grab the attention of girls from elementary school to high school. It’s a poster that simply, sweet, and straight forward.

Typefaces:
I use Penumbra as my typeface family. I decided to use this typeface because it is extremely versatile. It has serifs as well as sans serifs. This way I could use one typeface and not have to worry about finding a typeface that is readable. I also used it because serifs are better for poster because they are blunt, bold, and well defined. The letters are all cap and because of this I ran into problem when it cam time to write the secondary information. So, for this portion of the poster I used Gill Sans, which is a sans serif. It is an light easy read that gives off a friendly feel. Plus, I love it!

Color:
For the legs I used a cmyk percentage of 38.43, 81.18, 84.45, 56.86. This is to symbol the females of color so there won’t be any confusion. The shoes are 29.02, 43.92, 48.63, 1.96, to give the shoe a more vibrant feel and really pop out and contrast the deep brown. The dots are 20, 80, 0, 0, and that’s just to give a “girlie” feel to it.
Paper:
I used the regular printer paper because this is very inexpensive. In reality, if the money permits, I would use a paper that has a gloss to it. This way the poster would have that finished look.

1 comment:

Wasim Ahmad said...

Letecha, did you try using the export function in InDesign? Were there any error messages?